Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bono's Derby Picks and other people's too.

The first Saturday in May is a big day in our household. Well except for my Mom. It's Kentucky Derby Day! I know none of you care, but I'm going to blog about it anyway. I'm not even going to try to explain why it's a big deal. If you don't get you just don't get it. It's kind of like the guys not being able to pee in the toilet/litter thing from my last blog. Horse racing used to be the most popular sport in this Country. Those days are long past but Myself, my Dad and Carty are pretty into it. A lot of people find people or cats betting on horses running in circles as mindless and shallow. They can think what they want but I don't find it anymore shallow than blowing money on a overpriced purse, a 60th pair of shoes or some other article of clothing that will go to waste in a closet. A couple years ago I paid money to watch a Keanu Reeves movie. I would have much better lost that money on a horse race. That's an $11.50 and 2 hours of my life I will never get back. Come to think of it I would have rather lost that money down a gutter. So that might not be the best example, but you get my point. And for those of you who think racing the horses might be cruel you probably own a whole bunch of stuff made out of cow skin. You know thay had to kill them 1st right? They don't wait for them to die from old age. Anyway, I wanted to touch on something before I make my picks. There are lots of methods to betting horses. My Dad and Carty are very analytical. They gather information and make choices based on that information. I do a little of that two, but I basically make my bets by gut feeling. I'm also a big believer in fate. I think everything happens for a reason. Not always a good reason, but a reason none the less. Yesterday I was looking at the horses entered in the Kentucky Oaks. The Oaks is kind of like the Kentucky Derby for girls. They run it the Friday before the Derby. The number 2 horse in the race is name Absolutely Cindy. I bring this up because Cindy Dean is one of my few loyal readers. I also thought it was cool because it was spelled correctly. One of my peeves is when people try to get too creative with name spelling these days. It's common to see Cindy spelled Sindy, Syndee. I guess parents think there cool if they needlessly change the spelling of their children's name. Like it's hard to do. I'm waiting to see names like Genahpher, Mykheal or Baughknow. We'll back to my story....Last week my Mama took Cindy on a "Food Adventure". Which meant eating in an exotic place like Chinatown in Vegas. What an adventure!! I thought seeing this horse's name might be fate. So I suggested to my Mama to have Cindy take a financial adventure and put a few bucks on Absolutely Cindy. Then my Mama told me that I should bet it for her. Which I'll do. I'm starting to think that big reason in this thing is for me to lose another horse race, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm putting $10 on her nose for you Cindy. She is a longshot so it will pay a pretty penny if she wins. If you win you have to donate some of it to the The New Scatching Post for Baughknow Fund. It's a great charitable organization.....Here is the field for the Derby.

1 1/4 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $2,000,000

Prg. #
1 Cool Coal Man
2 Tale of Ekati
3 Anak Nakal
4 Court Vision
5 Eight Belles(F)
6 Z Fortune
7 Big Truck
8 Visionaire
9 Pyro
10 Colonel John
11 Z Humor
12 Smooth Air
13 Bob Black Jack
14 Monba
15 Adriano
16 Denis of Cork
17 Cowboy Cal
18 Recapturetheglory
19 Gayego
20 Big Brown

I mentioned before that the Kentucky Oaks is for girls, well the really good ones can run in the Derby. The horse with the (F) next to her name, Eight Belles, that means she is a Fillie and a good one, so she is running in the Derby.....Like I said I kind of pick from my gut so here are my top 4 picks, most of all I hope all the horses make it through safely.

1. Adriano
2. Big Brown
3. Eight Belles
4. Pyro

My Mama picked Tale of Ekati. The Ekati part of the name is from the name of a diamond mine in Canada. That's why she picked him.....here are Carty's and my Dad's picks. I don't know why they can't get their own blog. I stole this blog fair and square. But I'll be nice and put there picks on here.

Carty
1. Big Brown
2. Recapturetheglory
3. Gayego
4. Pyro

Dad
1. Colonel John
2. Big Brown
3. Z Fortune
4. Pyro

Good luck if you bet the race....Bon.

1 comment:

Cindy Dean said...

Hey! Did I win??? LOL...probably not as Jen would have surely mentioned it to me. I am sure that you are in mourning right now for Eight Belles. I sure would like to know how you did!