Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bono's Blog 2/10- A Disturbing Trend

I have to get this off my chest. I've been carring it around for a week. During the half time show of the Super Bowl, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers performed. This is the 3rd time in four years that the Super Bowl has a performer that has more appeal to my 58 year old grandpa than it did to anybody under the age of 40. If you don't remember the other two were the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney. The 4th performer was Prince who is no spring chicken himself. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the music of all these people and at six years old I'm a litte further along in cat years than I care to admit. I'm just wondering how long are we going to keep wheeling these people out? Much of this was brought on by Janet Jackson's nipple slip a few years back(will the children of America ever be able to recover from that?) Now producers of the half time show are afraid of what the government might do to them if something like that would happen again. That's American! The media afraid of government sanctions. Anyway, back to my point. The trend toward the elderly musical artist was further hammered home with the Grammys tonight. A handfull of AARP members were nominated and perfomed(Jerry Lee Lewis and John Fogerty) But worst of all we had to witness the terror of a 68 year old Tina Turner performing. She moves pretty good for a 68 year-old, but she is 68 years old! Did the producers of the show not know this? I was waiting for her to break her hip at any moment. I bet she had to chug an Ensure as soon as soon as she got off stage. Not to mention she had her high beams on the entire performance. Yeah, if you missed it, Tina Turner's nipples were boinking out for all the world to see. God, I hope this was not intentional. I can't believe they let her out on stage in that outfit. Aluminum foil does not work for her at all. Sadly, Vegas is on this bandwagon also. Cher is going to be performing at Ceasars. I guess they felt a need to have a perfomer on the strip that has had an excessive amount of plastic surgery with Wayne Newton not performing regularly since the sad demise of my beloved Stardust. (Yes, I loved the Dust. So did Carty, he used to roll dice there all the time. And they had a great restaurant name Bono's). I love Wayne too, but the plastic surgery is a little much. I posted a picture of him above. I can't tell if that is really a picure of him or a picure of his sculpture at Madam Trousseau's. Oh well. I guess we'll just have to deal with it. I can't wait to see Tony Bennett's Super Bowl half time performance next year.....Speaking of the Super Bowl. I know I already went on my football rant. But Super Bowl Sunday is the most American Day of the year. Don't belive me? Well 97 million people watched the game, the 2nd most watched event of any kind in this nations. It's more American that the 4th of July, which is most looked forward to by pyromanics. Admit it, if you didn't get a day off you wouldn't really care. The elements of Super Bowl Sunday exemplify America. Football is by miles the most popular sport in this country. But globally it's largly irrelevant. Then we have glutany and consumerism. People sitting around drinking and stuffing their face with large amounts food. Then we have the commercials which appeal to people that don't care about the game. There is a little something for everyone. And do you now what? I think it beautiful and we don't have to appologize for it.

No comments: